This page gathers together resources and information for jogscotland members and jog leaders during the COVID-19 outbreak, and is updated each time guidelines change. We will also email all jog leaders within a few days of any significant changes being announced by the Scottish Government. If you are a jog leader and are not receiving updates, please login and check that your jogscotland membership is up to date.
Latest advice from Scottish Government
Rule of Six: Our sport has its own specific guidelines, agreed with sportscotland, which allow us to continue to run in bubbles of up to 15 when running as a jogscotland group, in accordance with the guidelines below. The announcement of the ‘rules of six’ changes which came into place on 14 September do not mean any changes to the guidelines below. However, any ‘social’ runs, which are not official group runs, must follow Rule of Six guidelines.
Scottish Government announcement 22 September – Following this announcement, we have received clarity from sportscotland that there is no change to the existing guidance for sport. Please continue to follow the existing phase 3 guidance on this page. Regarding local restrictions: We are now going to apply a standard approach across Scotland so groups and leaders in areas with local restrictions may now follow the general advice applying to the rest of the country.
Phase 3 Return to Sport Guidance for joggers/athletes v4 100920
Phase 3 Return to Sport Guidance for groups/clubs v4 100920
Phase 3 Return to Sport_Guidance for jog leaders/coaches v4 100920
Phase 3 Return to indoor athletics v2 100920
Phase 3 Return to Sport_Guidance for facilities v4 100920
Following our Zoom call with jog leaders on 25 August, we have added the following useful documents:
Some key points for adult jogging groups:
- There has been an extension to the number of people able to jog together in a group, or ‘bubble’, of up to 15 people, as follows:
- The recommended ratio for working with adults is 1:12 so if only one Jog Leader is available, the maximum group size is 12 joggers, plus jog leader.
- The recommended bubble size in line with covid guidance is 15
- If the Jog Leader takes part in the session then they count as part of the bubble ie. 15 people including jog leader.
- If the Jog Leader is leading the session but not participating, there can be a bubble of 15 plus the leader and the leader should be physically distancing from participants
- No physical distancing is required within a bubble while jogging, but before and after jogging, you must revert to social distancing guidelines (2m), and mustn’t mingle with members of other bubbles before, during, or after sessions. However, we strongly recommend that Jog Leaders ensure that whenever possible physical distancing is maintained.
- The guidelines are for organised running activity only. Any social running activity must follow the government guidance on households and group sizes.
Additional useful documents and links
- Scottish Government online toolkit with general resources for phase 3, FACTS and Test and Protect:
Download Phase 3 assets
Download Test and Protect assets
- sportscotland online e-learning module for Covid Coordinators in sport (This is a certificated course – it is generic across all sports) Covid Coordinator – e-learning
- Returning to Physical Activity as we ease out of lockdown – ideas and information for jogscotland groups
- Stop the Spread Coronavirus Awareness poster-260820
- Before you train poster
- Hygiene poster
- Symptoms infographic
- Bellahouston Road Runners Return to Training Plan
- JS Covid Coordinator checklist
- Group template – scenario planning – please note we do not know at this stage what future group sizes will be so this document is designed to plan for several different scenarios
- Group return to activity template – Group return to activity template – to help you devise guidance specific for your joggers
- COVID-19 Risk Assessment considerations – The general template risk assessment for Jog Leaders can be found in the Jog Leader Toolkit. This additional document can be used to help update your risk assessments for Covid-19.
For groups looking at booking systems these are some systems we’re aware of that other groups/clubs use.
- https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/ (can create your own events for members to book into)
First Aid – COVID-19 specific information
Please share the following links with your Jog Leaders and first aiders. These links refer to first aid procedures during Covid-19.
Mental health and wellbeing
- Coronavirus Mental Health Information Hub from our partners, SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health), is full of advice and useful information on taking care of your wellbeing during the coronavirus outbreak. Or, for a quick read, check out their Five Ways to Better Mental Health, full of timeless advice.
- Clear Your Head is the The Scottish Government’s website featuring ways to take care of both your physical and mental wellbeing during lockdown.