Safeguarding and Licensing for jog leaders
Jog Leaders must hold a valid Jog Leader licence, issued by UK Athletics. When you take your jog leader course, you’ll be told how to apply for your first licence.
Please note: Your UKA licence is not the same as your jogscotland membership. The licence is a red card, issued by UK Athletics, and renewed every three years. Your jogscotland membership is operated by jogscotland/scottishathletics, is free of charge, and must be renewed annually. You can check or update your jogscotland membership online.
Renewing your licence
UK Athletics will send out a renewal reminder via email on the first of the month, approximately 16 weeks prior to the expiry date on your licence, and a further three reminders on the first of every month thereafter. You will receive details of how to book the UKA mandatory safeguarding module, and information about mandatory first aid training. The requirement for all leaders to have first aid training appropriate for their activities has been introduced for all leaders whose licences are due for renewal from April 2023 – more information is available from the UKA First Aid FAQs.
The following steps must be completed to renew your licence:
- Complete our online Self-Declaration form
- Complete your Mandatory Training ie. online safeguarding course and the first aid qualification most appropriate for your group’s activities, following the guidance provided by UKA.
- Log onto the MyAthletics Portal and check that the photograph on your record is up to date, or less than three years old. If it’s not, please upload a new one, as an out of date photo will delay the renewal process. Please also ensure the home address, email address and phone number on your coaching record are correct.
Once these steps are completed satisfactorily, your record will be updated and your licence will be renewed. (Please note that you may not see an on-screen message confirming that the process is complete, but if you have completed the steps above, you have completed the renewal procedure). While it may a few weeks to receive your card, you will continue to be licenced and insured.
- Queries regarding mandatory training, ie. first aid and safeguarding, must be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other queries may be directed to: email@example.com.
Safeguarding in running and athletics
jogscotland is part of scottishathletics, the National Governing Body for athletics in Scotland.
You can find useful information on the topic of welfare in our sport, in the Welfare section of the scottishathletics website including pages on safeguarding, clean sport, and mental health and wellbeing in athletics.